Creditworthy third year JD students, who are or will graduate from an ABA accredited law school, are eligible for bar study loans. These are private educational loans that can be used to help graduating students cover the costs of their bar preparation courses and bar exam expenses. Various lenders have bar loan options with varying amount of borrowing limits, generally up to $15,000.
Please note that the bar study loan is not part of your financial aid package. These loans will be sent via paper check to the borrower directly, not to the SIU School of Law. Many of these lenders have an online application. The application will require school certification which is completed by the Law School Registrar.
Individuals that are not creditworthy can qualify with a creditworthy co-signer. International students might also be more limited in their lender choice since some lenders will not allow international students to participate in their bar study loan program.
You might want to consider using the same lender that you have used for your financial aid package and Stafford lender because you will not be adding an additional lender to repay when you enter repayment for the loans utilized for law school.
Terms and conditions of bar study loans include:
• Borrow up to $15,000, depending on the lender
• Must be creditworthy to be eligible or have a creditworthy cosigner
• Some lenders require that you must have previous borrowing relationship
• Variable interest rate through the life of the loan
• Disbursements can be determined by the borrower
• Disbursements are sent directly to the borrower. It is important that the lender has the correct address information as paper checks will be mailed to the borrower directly.
We do not endorse or recommend one program over the other. We do, however; strongly recommend that you read all of the fine print and terms on the applications.
Citibank CitiAssist Bar Study Loan - contact 800.824.0019 or www.studentloan.com/law
GradLoans - contact 800.926.2716 or www.gradloans.com
Sallie Mae Bar Study Loan – contact 888.272.5543 or http://www.salliemae.com
U.S. Bank Bar Review Education Loan - contact 1.800.242.1200 or www.usbank.com
Wells Fargo Bar Exam Loan – contact 1.800.378.5526 or www.wellsfargo.com