For Military Members
SUPPORTING THOSE WHO SERVE
The School of Law is part of the Southern Illinois University system, with a tradition of over 150 years of educational excellence, serving a diverse, multicultural student body.
SIU has a long history of supporting those who serve by providing outstanding educational opportunities to military veterans; active duty, National Guard, and Reserve personnel; and their families. These educational opportunities for service members extend to the SIU School of Law.
Southern Illinois University Carbondale has earned recognition from national publications.
- Named in Military Times magazine for being “Best for Vets: Colleges 2020” for four-year universities. The university has made that list in each of the last nine years.
- Military Advanced Education & Transition magazine awarded SIU Carbondale a “Top School” designation in its “2018 Guide to Colleges and Universities.” SIU has made the list in each of the 11 years the guide has been published.
SIU Law enables military students to maximize their educational benefits in a supportive environment. SIU Law offers military students the following resources.
- Military Student Sponsor Program that matches admitted students with an established upper-level law student;
- Assigned faculty mentor at time of admittance;
- Military Law Society, a registered law student organization of service members and allies; and
- Access to SIUC’s Veterans Services Office.
While in law school, students learn the skills necessary to become a leader in the profession and can choose to use those skills to give back to the military community through the SIU Law Veterans' Legal Assistance Program Clinic, the Veterans Legal and Medical Partnership (VetLAMP), and other pro bono initiatives.