W. Eugene Basanta
W. Eugene Basanta is the Southern Illinois Healthcare Professor of Law Emeritus. He is also a Professor in the Department of Medical Humanities at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine. Since joining the SIU faculty in 1980, Professor Basanta has worked to advance education and research addressing health law and public policy.
He is the founding director of SIU’s Center for Health Law & Policy, and helped to create in 1989 the law school’s M.D./J.D. program – one of the first in the nation. He focuses his research and teaching in health law and has written extensively in this area, including works funded and published by the American Medical Association and the American College of Surgeons. Professor Basanta is a member and current vice chair of the Board of Trustees of Southern Illinois Healthcare, as well as a member of the American College of Legal Medicine Board of Governors. He serves as the Deputy Editor of the ACLM’s Journal of Legal Medicine.
B.A. Cum Laude 1972, Williams College, Phi Beta Kappa
J.D. with High Distinction 1975, University of Kentucky
---Order of the Coif
LL.M. 1980, Temple University
- Admitted to practice in Kentucky
- Law clerk, Fayette County Circuit Court, 1974-1975
- Private practice, Louisville, 1975-1978
- Assistant Professor, Southern Illinois University School of Law, 1980-1985
- Associate Professor, Southern Illinois University School of Law, 1985-1992
- Professor, Southern Illinois University School of Law, 1992-
- Associate Dean, Southern Illinois University School of Law, 1991-1993
- Professor at Southern Illinois University School of Medicine, Department of Medical Humanities, 1991-
- Acting Dean, Southern Illinois University School of Law, 2002-2003