Faculty Activities | Spring 2019
Assistant Professor of Law
Introduction, S. ILL. U. L.J. Special Issue (topic of public health surveillance) (forthcoming 2019).
CRIMINAL OFFENSES AND DEFENSES IN ALABAMA, STATE PRACTICE SERIES, THOMSON REUTERS (print) (4th ed., forthcoming 2019)
The Metal Eye: Ethical Regulation of the Use of Technology to Observe Humans in Confinement, 55(1) Cal. W. L. Rev. ___ (forthcoming 2019) (highlighted on Legal Theory Blog 12/28/2018 and Crim Prof Blog 1/4 2019) (listed on Top Ten SSRN Download Lists for Legal Scholarship Network Ethical Issues (Topic); Philosophy Research Network for Punishment, Corrective Justice Generally (Topic), Technology and Ethics (Sub-Topic), and Applied Ethics (Topic); Computer Science Research Network on Artificial Intelligence (Topic); and Law and Psychology e-Journal and Corrections and Sentencing Law and Policy eJournal) Read it here
- Faculty, Expert Witness Training for Child Trauma Cases (3 hour), Southern Illinois Trauma Based Behavioral Health Fellowship Program, Graduate Program and Professional Training, SIU School of Social Work (forthcoming Spring 2019).
Faculty, Expert Witness Training for Law Enforcement K-9 and Cadaver Investigation Experts, SIU Dept. of Anthropology (forthcoming Spring 2019)
- Presenter, United States Leadership in Global Affairs in the 21st Century International Law, American Association of Law Schools Annual Meeting, January 5, 2019
The Latest on Sanctuary Laws and Litigation, vol. 56, no. 4 The Globe (Jan. 2019)
- Primer on the Cuban Legal System, 19 FL. COASTAL L. REV. 27 (2018).
Speaker, Immigration Law Update Fall 2018: Reviewing the Second Half of 2018 Under the Trump Administration, ISBA CLE Program, Chicago, IL, Dec. 6, 2018.
Associate Professor and Director of our Academic Support Program
- JURISDICTION IN CIVIL ACTIONS (2018) (with coauthors).
Professor of Law
- Received $54,696 grant from US-Russia Foundation to support collaboration with Udmurt State University Law School in Russia.
Program Planner & Moderator, Building Bridges Through Shared Experiences: The AALS Women in Legal Education Oral History Project, AALS Section on Women in Legal Education Program, Association of American Law Schools 2019 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana (January 2019).
Program Planner & Discussion Leader, Building Bridges: WILE Networking, Mentoring, and Discussion, AALS Section on Women in Legal Education Program, Association of American Law Schools 2019 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana (January 2019).
Program Planner & Presenter, AALS Section on Women in Legal Education Ruth Bader Ginsburg Lifetime Achievement Award Presentation, AALS Section on Women in Legal Education Luncheon, Association of American Law Schools 2019 Annual Meeting, New Orleans, Louisiana (January 2019).
Immediate Past Chair, AALS Section on Women in Legal Education
Reference Librarian and Assistant Professor of Law
Occasional Papers American Association of Law Libraries State Documents Bibliography No. 3-111. Illinois State Documents. Compiled and edited with Cornelius Pereira. Government Documents Special Interest Section (2018).
- Quoted in article: 9th Circuit Upholds Big Chunk of Former Bio-Rad GC's $11M Whistleblower Verdict, read it here
Quoted in article: Cognizant Case Offers GCs Warning On Shirking FCPA, read it here
- Quoted in Samuel Rubenfeld, International Cooperation in Foreign-Bribery Enforcement Continued in 2018, WALL. ST. J. (Jan. 4, 2019 5:30 a.m. ET), read it here
Article: International Cooperation in Foreign-Bribery Enforcement Continued in 2018
Article: Legal questions swirl around idea to offer $50 million penthouse to Putin in Trump Tower Moscow
Article: Is floating a $50 million Trump Tower penthouse for Vladimir Putin illegal?
Clinical Professor of Law
- What’s Gonna Work? Teamwork: The Hallmark of Good Academic Success Programs, LEARNING CURVE (forthcoming).
- Quoted in Ryan Voyles & Kevin Barlow, Supporters 'celebrating' new Illinois gun law; challenge promised, THE PANTAGRAPH (Jan. 23, 2019), read it here.
Quoted in Ryan Voyles, 'This is all political': Decatur-area gun sellers say new law will hurt business but not make people safer, (Jan 18, 2019), read it here.
- The Need to Revisit Legal Education in an Era of Increased Diagnoses of Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity and Autism Spectrum Disorders, published in the Dickinson Law Review > Vol. 123 > Iss. 1 (2018) read it here.
Visiting Assistant Professor
Received the Victims’ Rights Champion Award for her contribution to crime victim rights.
- Women's Visionary March, kicking off Women's History Month, Guest speaker, March 4, 2019.
Richard K. Neumann Jr., Sheila Simon, Suzianne D. Painter-Thorne, Legal Writing (4th ed.), 2019.
- Cited in AALS 2019 Attendees Convene and Connect in the Big Easy, read about the conference here.
Keynote Speaker, Lawyer’s Assistance Program, Joseph R. Bartylak Dinner, Apr. 4, 2019
- AALS Presentation: AALS President’s Program - Bridging the Divide of Political Polarization: A Conversation Among Elected Officials on Jan. 3, 2019, in New Orleans.